Willow Education (WE) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charter school management organization dedicated to establishing and managing high-quality public charter schools in Northern California. WE’s educational approach is based on the conviction that science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education is essential in improving our modern society’s knowledge base and adaptability to the fast pace of ever-changing technological advancements.
BayTech is a charter school for grades 6–12 with a curriculum that emphasizes STEM. King Estates operates as a site-based school and is primarily designed to meet the needs of the students in the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD). In its twelve years of operation, BayTech has achieved an increasing trend of academic success and demonstrated organizational and financial stability. To continue its success, BayTech respectfully submits this petition for the renewal of its charter.
BayTech opened its doors in August of 2004 with 78 students in Oakland. The School has changed two locations over the years and is now located at a district facility acquired through Prop 39. The School currently serves more than 300 students. The operational capacity of the current facility is about 330 students, and the School anticipates reaching full-capacity in the 2016-17 school year.
WE strives to shape our future by:
- Preparing students for academic success.
- Enabling students to have a broad spectrum of options for their future endeavors.
- Preparing students to be responsible and productive citizens.
WE’s mission is to enhance educational opportunities for children and families in Northern California, and to improve the quality of teaching and learning at the elementary and secondary levels.
WE’s actions are driven by the following values:
- COMMITMENT: WE values commitment in three different forms: commitment by the staff to enhance educational opportunities for all the students; commitment by the students to learn; and commitment by parents to be an integral part of their children’s education.
- COMMUNICATION: Our society continues to become more and more diverse and multicultural. WE values the dialog between people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- TEAM SPIRIT: WE values the collaboration between staff, students, and parents with a single goal in mind: to secure a positive future for our children.
- EXCELLENCE: WE believes every child has the potential to excel in life. Our duty is to provide the opportunities for them to fulfill their dreams. WE’s staff is expected to excel in their jobs by utilizing continuing professional development opportunities.