Next week is SBAC testing for the Middle School and 11th graders. Here is some information regarding our SBAC Testing Happening May 6th, 7th, 9th, and 10th.
What is it?
- Also called “Smarter Balanced” or “CAASPP”
- Standardized test given in CA and other states
- Tests student achievement and problem-solving skills
Who takes it?
- All BayTech 6, 7, 8, and 11 graders
- 8th and 12th graders take a Science Test, given separately
When do we take it?
- May 6-7 and 9-10
- Wednesday May 8 is normal school day
- One test per day (Monday is ELA CAT, Tuesday is ELA PT, etc.)
- Testing students released at lunch each testing day
- Homework club will be available in rm. 307
What about the students who aren’t testing?
- Normal class schedule, though some classes will be held in different rooms
What is the test like?
- All on the computer
- Only Math and ELA
- Two parts to each:
CAT (computer adaptive test, so the questions will change for each student based on his/her answers to previous questions)
PT (Performance Test) for each subject.
What happens if we do well?
- Graded immediately on effort and behavior
- Scores are used to determine class placement for next year
- Good scores can increase chances of getting in to some colleges
- 11th grade students who score well can avoid extra remedial classes in college
- Great for BayTech if students perform well
- Santa Cruz trip next school year for all students who meet or exceed standards on ELA and Math AND those who score better in both sections than they did last year!
If you have any further questions, call the BayTech office (510) 382-9932 or watch our SBAC information video below.